Dr Megan Clark, Chief Executive and CSIRO Board member.
Dr Megan Clark: Chief Executive, CSIRO
Dr Megan Clark is the Chief Executive of CSIRO.
2 August 2011 | Updated 9 October 2014
Dr Megan Clark is Chief Executive of CSIRO, Australia’s national research agency and one of the leading mission-directed, multi-disciplinary applied research organisations in the world. CSIRO aims to deliver profound impact for industry, the community and for a sustainable future from its science and is well known for developing the wireless LAN now in over 4 billion devices world-wide.
Dr Clark is a geologist with a BSc (Hons) in Geology and PhD in Economic Geology from Queen’s University Canada and began her career as a mine and exploration geologist.
Prior to CSIRO, Dr Clark led BHP Billiton’s global efforts in Health, Safety and Environment and Community Engagement after heading BHP Billiton’s Global Technology unit.
Prior to joining BHP Billiton Dr Clark led a small high-tech venture capital fund with NM Rothschild and Sons Australia and worked in a corporate venture fund with Advent International in Boston.
Dr Clark is a Principal in the Global Research Alliance which brings together nine global applied research peers to support inclusive innovation for the world’s most disadvantaged. She is also a member of the Advisory Board of the Bank of Merrill Lynch in Australia, Japan’s Science and Technology Forum Council,Trustee of the Science and Industry Endowment Fund and a member of the Advisory Board of the World Economic Forum’s Risk report.
Dr Clark was made a Companion of the Order of Australia, AC in the Queen’s birthday honours this year for eminent service to scientific research and development through fostering innovation to science administration through strategic leadership roles and to the development of public policy for technological sciences.
Dr Clark is a Fellow of the Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the Australian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.
Dr Megan Clark PhD, BSc, FTSE, FAICD
- Bachelor Science with Honours in Economic Geology from the University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, 1981
- Doctor of Philosophy in Economic Geology from Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, 1987.
- CSIRO Chief Executive
- Member, Australia Advisory Board of the Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Trustee, Science Industry Endowment Fund
- Member, Advisory Board of the World Economic Forum's Risk report.
- Commissioner of the International Commission on Sustainable Agriculture and Climate Change
- Member of the Advisory Board of the Ian Wark Research Institute for Particle Science
- Member, National Innovation Review Panel – Australia
- Member, National Research Infrastructure Council
- Vice President Health, Safety, Environment, Community and Sustainability, BHP Billiton
- Vice President Technology, BHP Billiton, 2003-08
- Director, NM Rothschild and Sons (Australia), 2001-03
- Member of the Australian Research Council Collaborative Grants Committee in the areas of engineering and geosciences
- Various positions with WMC Resources till 1999 culminating in Manager New Business Technology
- Member of Board of A J Parker Co-operative Research Centre
- Director, Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing
- Member of the CSIRO Minerals Sector Advisory Council
- Prime Minister’s Science Engineering Innovation Council – Working Group on China and India
- Member of the St Vincent's Hospital Foundation Board
- Panel Member, Automotive Industry Innovation Council.
- Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering
- Fellow of the Institute of Company Directors.
Awards and Honours
- Elected Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technology Science and Engineering, 2006
- Honorary Doctor of Science Degree awarded by University of WA, 2006.
- Honorary Doctor of Applied Science awarded by Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) University, 2010
- Honorary Doctor of Laws honoris causa, Monash University, 2013.